Release date: Saturday 26th June 2021
Cost: $95 AUD
Duration: 2 hours
Duration: 2 hours
Integrating concepts of spirituality into health care practices can be challenging. In this masterclass we address many of these challenges and establish a roadmap for integrating aromatic spiritual elements into your aromatherapy practice.
We explore the premise that aromatherapy is a shamanic practice. In order to do this, we examine the origins of shamanism, examine the role of shamanism as a healing practice, and identify ways in which shamanism can be integrated into contemporary healing practices. We investigate the role of entheogens and psychointegrators used within shamanic practices, and consider whether essential oils can be classified as entheogens.
While it is unlikely that any of the commonly used essential oils lead to an altered state of consciousness, such as that often experienced with many of the powerful psychoactive substances available, neuroscience has identified that many of the biological pathways by which essential oils influence our psyche and modify our brain chemistry are similar to those of altered states of consciousness achieved in shamanic practices.
In this masterclass, we will:
- explore the relationship between spirituality and wellbeing
- examine the importance of spirituality within a holistic healing framework
- examine the relationship between aromatherapy, new age practices and spirituality
- explore the role of the shaman in traditional and modern cultures
- examine why the principles of shamanic practices need to be included in contemporary healing practices
- address important issues associated with indigenous rights and cultural appropriation of shamanic practices
- examine the neuroscience and therapeutic benefits of altered states of consciousness
- examine the role of essential oils as entheogens and psychointegrators